ORANGE COUNTY DUI ATTORNEYOVER 25 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN CRIMINAL AND DUI DEFENSE,
Richard Wagner listens to clients.
Clients appreciate and love how simple and quick it is to contact Richard.
Clients enjoy how Richard constantly keeps them informed about their cases.
You do not have to go through this alone. Help is only a phone call away.
Mr. Wagner is a criminal defense lawyer who patiently guides you through the complicated and confusing criminal justice system.
You will get a thorough and complete investigation and a personalized defense strategy.
Orange County DUI Lawyer Richard Wagner holds the prosecutor and law enforcement accountable regarding DUI arrests.
Critical insight into the legal process of your court case and the DMV Administrative hearing.
“I am very grateful to Richard Wagner. He did an awesome job defending me throughout the trial. In court, Richard talked about the law, science, facts of case, and convinced the jury to find me not guilty. Richard definitely knows how to successfully defend a DUI charge in trial. Thanks to Richard Wagner, the DUI charge against me has gone away like it never happened and I got my life back.” J.I. Read what others have to say
If arrested for misdemeanor or felony driving under the influence in Orange County, Los Angeles, Riverside County, or San Bernardino County, arm yourself with the best DUI Lawyer in Orange County you can.
Richard, a DUI defense attorney, makes personal sacrifices for the well-being of his clients and is considered one of the best DUI lawyers in Orange County.
Understanding DUI Arrests & California Court Procedure
Being accused of DUI in California is a terrifying thing. Most times, you are arrested on the spot, where the crime allegedly happened.
Sometimes, the arrest comes after the crime has occurred. Other times, you know a criminal investigation is active, like in some accident or hit-and-run situations. Read about Hit-and-Run Charges in California
In any of these situations, the arresting officers must conduct an arrest within the limits of the law. It's also important to keep in mind that just because you are arrested for a crime you may or may not have committed, you still have rights.
It is often assumed that police must put a person in handcuffs or into a police vehicle to arrest them, however, this is not the case.
Police may choose to do so depending on the circumstances, but they are not legally required to handcuff or physically detain someone to effect an arrest.
The Law Office of Richard Wagner is committed to clients. Richard Wagner, Attorney at Law, thoroughly reviews all criminal cases, including the reliability of blood alcohol tests. Read about Understanding DUI BREATH Tests in California Read about Understanding DUI BLOOD Tests in California
If you have been arrested or think you might be under investigation for a crime, call (714) 721-4423 to schedule a Free Consultation and get your defense started without delay.
Why You Need a Criminal Defense Lawyer if Arrested in California
If the police arrest you, you should immediately speak with a criminal defense lawyer. You have the right to do so and they are the best source to advise you of the law and the options available to you in your circumstances.
- You need a good defense to protect your rights and freedoms. The U.S. Constitution grants you the right to a criminal defense lawyer or, if you cannot afford one, a court-appointed attorney.
- It evens the playing field. A criminal defense lawyer gives you access to the knowledge and defense strategy you deserve. The District Attorney has the resources, time, and money on its side. The prosecutor uses all of this to collect evidence and build a case against you. Plus, they are not afraid to use intimidation tactics to get what they want.
- An attorney can build a strong defense strategy. An attorney listens to your side of the story, investigates the facts, applies the facts to the law, and strategizes. Sometimes a clear defense is available; other times, it is about creating reasonable doubt. The prosecutor has the burden to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
- Sometimes, law enforcement overreaches. A smart and experienced DUI criminal defense attorney knows what to look for when a police officer may not have carried out an arrest properly. Violations of your constitutional rights can result in the exclusion of any evidence obtained from that violation, which is often referred to as "the fruit of the poisonous tree." Read about Improper Searches and Seizures
- It's complicated. The laws and procedures related to DUI law and criminal defense are complicated. You cannot do it alone unless you have knowledge of it, and if you try to do it on your own, you may end up in a worse place than you would have been. For example, if you are offered a plea agreement, the DA will insist upon terms and conditions most favorable to them, and you may agree without a fight in fear it is your only option. But a criminal defense attorney is skilled in negotiation and knows how to get you a better plea agreement. Read about Understanding Plea Deals in California
How Strong Is Your DUI Defense?
Do's for DUI Suspects
✔ DO provide the police officer with your driver's license, proof of insurance, and registration if possible.
✔ DO be courteous to police officers, but do not say more than you have to or give them any evidence.
✔ DO remember that the Fifth Amendment protects your right to remain silent.
✔ DO understand you have the right to a DMV Hearing about the automatic license suspension. Read about DMV Hearings
✔ DO hire an experienced California DUI lawyer to help you preserve your reputation, keep you out of county jail, keep your driving privileges, protect you from the court system and DMV, and reduce the overall impact on your life.
Don'ts for DUI Suspects
❌ DO NOT tell the police officer where you were or what you did.
❌ DO NOT allow police officers to pressure you into taking field sobriety tests, or preliminary alcohol screening tests (unless you are on DUI probation or under 21) before you are arrested for DUI. These tests are voluntary, subjective, and meant to incriminate you. Field Sobriety Tests are scientifically unreliable and will not help your case. Read more about Field Sobriety Testing in California
❌ DO NOT give police officers consent to search you or your vehicle. Read What is a Temporary Detention?
Call 714-721-4423 for a FREE CONFIDENTIAL CONSULTATION TODAY
Straightforward and Honest Advice; Complete Investigation; Decades of Experience
Get straightforward and honest advice. Don't just get told what you want to hear.
Get the information you need about:
- the Judge,
- the Commissioner,
- the Prosecutor,
- the District Attorney or
- City Prosecutor,
- the DUI Court process,
- the DMV
- drunk driving laws,
- the effect of a criminal record,
- the consequences of DUI in California,
- the criminal justice system,
- California DUI penalties,
- Ignition Interlock Devices, and
- the law enforcement industrial complex.
What Is a Misdemeanor in California?
A misdemeanor charge in California is a serious matter that can have just as serious consequences if a conviction follows. It can upend your life, so fighting the charge is often your best option.
Of course, many factors should be considered if, when, and how a misdemeanor is fought. Read more about Misdemeanor DUI Sentencing in California
Criminal defense lawyer Richard Wagner reviews any misdemeanors in your case, explains what those charges mean, and advises you on your best legal options.
Contact Richard Wagner, Attorney At Law, at (714) 721-4423 today to schedule a Free Consultation and get the best representation you need in your unique circumstances.
Do You Need a Criminal Defense Lawyer in California to Fight a Misdemeanor Charge?
The answer to this question is always a relative one, but if you seek to avoid any consequences of a misdemeanor conviction in California, then it is best to seek the representation of an experienced criminal defense lawyer. The following are a few reasons why you need a criminal defense lawyer:
- Your charges could be reduced from a felony. If the facts support a reduced charge, your attorney can argue the same using their negotiation skills on your behalf. Read about DUI Causing Injury - Misdemeanor or Felony
- Your misdemeanor could become a felony. Felonies carry more serious consequences. Your attorney will want to show, in part, that the prosecutor does not have the legal requirements to charge the crime as a felony.
- You want your rights protected. You have certain constitutional rights when you are arrested and charged with a crime. Your attorney will ensure your rights are upheld, and if they have been violated, your attorney can take proper action that could lead to a dismissal of charges or suppression of evidence.
- You want less or no time in jail and/or reduced fines. Statistics show that those who fight misdemeanor charges tend to spend less or no time in jail and pay fewer fines. Often, that is because the attorney has effectively represented their client. That is because the attorney has effectively represented their client.
- You prefer legal guidance. If you want the benefits that flow from an experienced criminal defense attorney, then seeking help from The Law Office of Richard Wagner is in your best interests.
The Law Office of Richard Wagner will help you in all of the above and more ways. The strategy developed for you will be based on the law and persuasive argument as much as it will be based on the facts and any available defenses.
Understanding Your Right to an Attorney
We cannot all be experts in the law. That said, if we get into trouble with the law (or are accused of it), we want someone who knows the law to represent us. Fortunately, the backbone of our legal system is each person's right to an attorney.
This right is true regardless of whether you can afford one or not. Of course, it is always best to be able to choose who represents you in a court of law in California.
Criminal defense lawyer Richard Wagner represents clients who face DUI and criminal charges in Orange County. He believes his clients make the best decisions for themselves when they are well-informed.
So, here, Richard Wagner, Attorney At Law, explains what your right to an attorney means. Contact him at (714) 721-4423 to schedule a FREE Consultation and to make sure your rights are preserved as you go through the criminal justice system.
Charged with a Crime in Orange County? You Have a Right to an Attorney
The right to have an attorney when you are accused of a crime is found in the Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. It says:
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall… have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.
This right does not apply in civil cases. For example, if you want to sue the police for excessive use of force, you can only do so if you hire an attorney, or, alternatively, you can file the paperwork yourself.
In short, when the charges you face have the potential to result in the loss of your freedom, you have the right to an attorney. It does not matter whether or not you actually receive jail time. If imprisonment is even a possibility, then you have the right to a lawyer.
You also have the right to hire an attorney of your choice. However, if you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you. You are typically not able to choose your court-appointed attorney.
Why the Right to a Criminal Defense Attorney in Orange County is Important
A criminal defendant is facing the possibility of losing their right to freedom. Because of this, a DUI criminal defense attorney is essential to ensure the defendant has somebody who understands the legal system in their corner. Read about What Happens At My Arraignment in California
A criminal defense attorney often has a positive influence on a client's case.
They work hard to prevent their clients from being wrongfully convicted or receiving excessive sentences. They make certain that the constitutional rights of their clients are upheld.
Going through the criminal justice system can be overwhelming and frightening. The Law Office of Richard Wagner is here to assist and support you and to make sure your rights and freedoms are protected.
For a FREE Consultation call (714) 721-4423 or complete the online form, and Richard Wagner will be in touch shortly.
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood …”
COURTHOUSE: CENTRAL JUSTICE CENTER - SANTA ANA
CHARGES: DUI (.09 BLOOD) ACCIDENT
FINAL RESULT: DUI DISMISSED. REDUCED TO WET RECKLESS (DMV SUSPENSION OVERTURNED).
DMV: EL SEGUNDO
CHARGES: 2ND DUI (.13 BLOOD)
FINAL RESULT: 1 YEAR DMV SUSPENSION OVERTURNED.
COURTHOUSE: CENTRAL JUSTICE CENTER – SANTA ANA
CHARGES: 3RD DUI - Vehicle Code Section 23546 requires a minimum of 120 days in jail.
FINAL RESULT: NO JAIL TIME. RESIDENTIAL TREATMENT PROGRAM.