Contact Us for a Free Consultation 714-721-4423

Blog | The Law Office of Richard Wagner

What If You Get A DUI in California But Live in Another State?

Posted by Richard Wagner | Apr 07, 2020

What happens if you get a DUI in California, while on vacation or you were here on a business trip, and you live in another State? Or, what happens if you get a DUI in California, but you want to move from California to another state?

The California DMV will report the conviction to the Department of Motor Vehicles in the state where you are licensed. The state where you are are licensed will suspend your license. It is possible you may not be allowed to drive in the state where you are licensed until the California suspension is lifted and the state where you are licensed honors such lifting of the suspension. Therefore, to get rid of the California suspension, the California DMV requires you – the driver – to call (916) 657-6525 to request an “Application for Termination of Action.

You should also consult with an attorney in the state you have a driver's licence, or want to get license, to determine how a California DUI conviction and/or driver's license suspension will affect your driving privilege in that state.

About the Author

Richard Wagner

Attorney Profile Defense Lawyer Richard Wagner upholds and defends freedoms and liberties enshrined in our United States and California Constitutions.  “Richard was able to achieve an even better outcome for my case than what we initially thought was possible. I couldn't be more grateful to h...